By Gimbob

Wiltshire, United Kingdom Gb

hi my name is jim and i have a number of house plants and most of them are growing fine but i recently lost an hawaiian palm tree and also some of my other plants some times look a bit sick i have had a close look and have noticed lots of small fly,s all around all of my plants is this the cause and if so how do i get rid of them saftley

Hi Jim and welcome, yes I would say the fly is your problem, are they white, they will weaken the plant, but you can eradicate them quite quickly by buying an insecticide specifically for house plants. try giving them a mist every now and then also.

I doubt personally that the flies are the cause of your problems. They are a signifier that the compost/soil is too wet.

Are they small black flies? If they are then they are caused by overwatering. Potted plants hate being over watered.

Run your finger along the underside of the leaves and check for rusty dustlike deposits - it could be red spider mite.