By Amundy

Gloucestershire, United Kingdom Gb

I have just seen a bush (about 4ft high) growing happily in dense shade with attractive slightly fragrant flowers - can anyone identify it for me please? The flowers are blue on one panicle (partly open), and the fully open ones are white. Thank you for your help.

Dscf0049 Dscf0050 Dscf0051

That looks like some sort of Hebe to me, but I'm sorry, I don't know which one. It 'could' be Midsummer Beauty, but I'm not certain.

Yes, Hebe and I think Beattie is correct about it being Midsummer Beauty

:-) Pretty, isn't it!

Marvellous. Thanks so much - the RHS Encyclopedia has a very precise description of the plant - apart from the dense shade, and the underside of the leaves are green, not red-purple. Anthea

I'm wondering if this is actually a young Hebe 'Hidcote' instead - that carries lilac and white flowers at the same time, whereas Midsummer Beauty has shorter leaves than these look, and the flowers fade to white rather than being mixed.

Thanks - we hope to go to Hidcote in a few weeks time, so they may have a picture of it in flower!

Gets over a metre eventually, think something like 1.8m if left alone.