By Cwhite

Hello , I have a Yucca Elaphantipes grown mostlly indoors but have too take it out a few times a week for sunlight . I noticed tiny little flying bugs that resemble gnats coming out of the soil and at a closer inspection I also noticed tiny little centipedes living in the soil. Anyone know what to do ??

Centipedes and millipedes are normal soil fauna, eating other bugs and decaying vegetable matter, respectively. The flying gnats are probably fungus gnats. They are more of a nuiscance than anything else, but they can be a symptom of overwatering. To get rid of them, use a mosquito control granule containing Bacillus thuringiensis israelensis. That bacterium attacks only larvae of members of the fly family--including gnats. In the few cases where that doesn't work, you can water the plant with a solution of carbaryl. At the same time, you might want to pour some chlorine bleach down the drains, since fungus gnats often live there, too.

You're welcome, Cwhite.