In April this year we planted a Clematis 'Armandii' on a South West facing wall under the house overhang. When bought it was 600mm high now it is 1m high and for the past 3 weeks it appears to have stopped growing. We also planted Sedam at its base to shade its roots. Why has it stopped growing?

Well unless you're measuring it weekly, it may still be growing a bit, just not as rapidly as earlier in the year. As long as the foliage and stems are healthy, it will continue to grow, but April and May and early June are the times when plants visibly romp ahead.

I await any response you care to make to my response, Anderson...

Unless the stems that have grown are actually looking sick, I would say, don't be deceived! It will probably take over the space in no time!

Ignore my second response - it was placed under another, extremely unhelpful and rude one which has been removed by the site owners.

Hi again Anderson, if it's any consolation, I seem to remember mine taking a couple of years to get going and I was muttering about having it out. Then the following year it was really lovely and now I have difficulty keeping it within bounds.