By Caterbj

i have grown cauliflowers plants have grown very large but no sign of the flowers

On plant cauliflowers

Bulba and I have given up trying to grow cauliflowers they need a huge amount of feeding to produce a decent size curd and I think we are just too far north for them to get enough heat and sun.

Most varieties won't start to curd until the nights get chilly in early fall, then it's a race with frost.

what variety have you grown, and when did you sow the seed?

Copy and paste the url below into your web browser for more info on growing cauliflowers

Tugb. in the Uk cauliflower is grown as a summer vegetable not a winter one (unless you live in Cornwall)

Sorry! Ours never start to curd unless the nights are starting to get chilly (<10ยบ C) in November or December, then they curd no matter what size they are. I was expecting them to be grown in the UK by starting them in late spring, and harvesting in fall. I gotta watch those unfounded expectations!

Reading that cauliflower page you gave us, it is apparent that I have only been exposed to the autumn and winter varieties of cauliflower, here. No real surprises there--I suspect that the summer ones would cook before they curded here!

No worries Tugb.