By Great

London, United Kingdom Gb

I have a very small garden. I was reading about the grow for Victory campaign during the war and about people having their own Victory gardens. It said something about - instead of growing carrots in long rows; people were encouraged to grow carrots in 2 foot x 2 foot space. Can someone explain please

There is no reason to grow veg in rows, unless you need to drive a tractor down the middle! Also, 2x2 makes it easier to cover with fleece to deter carrot root flies. Small spaces seem to suit patches rather than long narrow rows. It's all a matter of preference, really.

in the 2nd World War everyone with a garden was encouraged to grow veg. no matter how small the plot. In fact a lot of flower gardens were turned over to veg. for the duration. When I was a child more than half our garden was down to veg. As Volunteer says does not need to be in rows, though it is easier to hoe if you do have rows. We keep ours short so that there is less walking on the soil.

It was called "Dig for Victory". People would sometimes use carrots as a front of border plant, where the feathery leaves looked very pretty. I can remember beetroot being grown similarly in the public parks! You can still have rows in a 2x2 space - they are just very short ones!

Agreed Steragram... It is also easier to keep track of where the crop is to start with.

Thanks everyone. I am trying to grow as much as I possibly can in IN MAINLY 3 raised beds. 2 metre by 3 metres. Any hints or tips greatly recieved

If you have 3 beds then you can easily rotate the crops year by year. Buy Dr Hessayon's Veg and Herb expert book (paperback about £9). This has graphics and details of growing most veg, also shows a rotation plan.

Thanks Volunteer I actually have 4 beds one is only tiny and the California poppies have taken over it!! I do grow my crops on rotation, I am trying to cramp as much veg as I can into a very small space. I'm finding it hard as I have quite a lot of shade in the garden now thanks to my neighbours 6 foot fence!! I will look out for the book though. Thanks