lancashire, United Kingdom Gb

We have had a flowering cherry tree in our front garden for about 12 years and this Spring, like any other it blossomed in late March/early April. Now, early June, I have noticed a lot of the leaves are turning brown and I have noticed "blobs" of gum around the leaf/branch join. Can anyone tell me what may have caused this and is there any way of getting rid? Thanks in anticipation.

Graemejune11_002 Graemejune11_003

Looks like Blossom Wilt, if that is, as I believe, a withered blossom still adhering to the stem. It's unfortunate you didn't notice it at the time, because it looks as if its now spread to the spurs and stem behind. Prune back all affected shoots, back to unaffected or healthy growth. Spray with copper oxychloride (if still available) next year just before flowering begins. Keep a watch and remove any blossom which withers, including the spur behind it. Rake up any debris and leaves after they've fallen.

Thanks. Will follow your advice and hopefully next year will be better.

Perfic answer. My advice to two customers this year already :)