The Garden Community for Garden Lovers

United Kingdom Gb

I have recently spread pidgeon manure in the valleies between my potato's and i think the amonia has burnt the halms i have removed the manure and watered well. Have i ruined my potato's or should they recover?
The manure has been in polyethene bags for at least six months



I hate to worry you but pigeon droppings are highly toxic and dangerous to human health especially if the dust is inhaled. I imagine it hasn't done your potatoes any good and wouldn't eat them. Please google pigeon droppings and toxicity for more information.

3 Jun, 2011


I was thinking exactly the same - Pigeon droppings/manure are highly toxic, especially as Cammomile has said, when dry. When councils remove Pigeon droppings from nest sites they wear heavy duty clothing as it is very acidic and toxic.

3 Jun, 2011

How do I say thanks?

Answer question


Not found an answer?