Replanting Royal Poinciana

natalia

By Natalia

Hi, I moved to the Bahamas several months ago and was enchanted by the beauty of flame trees which are abundant here. i started grow my own from seeds and i got a lot of healthy seedlings. Fast growing too. After couple of months i replanted each tree in an individual pot. ALL of them stopped growing, and eventually lost their leaves. so now i have a lot of slowly dying trees.... Do you have any idea by any chance what caused it? I used a very reach potting soil, i water them on a regular basis, but seems like it is not helping at all. I would appreciate any help. Thank you!

On plant Royal Poinciana

Answers

Sid
Sid

I've spent time in Bangkok, Thailand, and flame trees are popular over there. Can't help really, but it strikes me that in Bangkok they get a cool dry season with no rain at all and a hot wet season when they get maybe an inch or more of water every night. Maybe knowing this will help you get the conditions right? They are very fast growing!

Hello Natalia... I have grown 5 trees from seeds, they grew so fast, we had to pull them out, they were in the wrong place. Nobody wanted them as everyone's got them. But one we kept. We transplanted it to the front ( best to do it when semi dormant - they do get like that ) and it went well. First like you, the leaves dropped as I hadn't waited, so it went into decline. I kept watering it, but it kept going into retro. I thought: "Well see what happens in spring, I am not going to pay anymore attention, it looks sick, if you don't want to grow, get lost". That helped as a month ago it revived and is looking wonderful. Healthy at least, but has to do some growing. These are very hardy trees, but have a huge rootsystem and will become a shady haven. No grass will grow underneath but you can grow shade plants. Leave yours where it is and wait for spring....you might be pleasantly surprised.

I guess i will just wait till spring and see what happens. It hurts to see them not doing well, especially after seeing them thriving so vigorously before...thank you for your responses!