Charente, France Fr

Shoo, fly!!

I know that there is a plant called 'shoo, fly!'

...can any of you tell me...

what is it, botanically?
...and can it be grown from seed?

Alternatively, does anyone know of any other plant which will repel flies from open windows and doors (indoor or out)?

Thanks, in advance

Hi Karen

...for botanical name

Nicandra physalodes
Nightshade family (Solanaceae)

you could start there...but it is Illinois

Kind Rgds

also...this website sells them for 99p a pack, shipping 60p ..but could be for UK only

They seem to grow really easily. At the end of last summer half of the "what's this that's popped up - I didn't plant it" questions featured Nicandra. The others were Jimson Weed (Datura stramonium)

I don't know if the shoofly plant works. The supposed cat deterrent doesn't, I hear.

I have them coming up in my garden every year. They are lovely plants.

No effect on flies as far as I could see,

Have to give it a go...the flies are really annoying me...
...thx, Giroffle x

check out the following

it's a list of herbs (Basil seems to be the favourite)...all of which you know probably, except for 2......that are fly deterrents

Tansy and Sweet Woodroft

The Tansy is interesting (didn't follow up the other) and there seems to be some foundation (historically) that it works (see following)

...where you get hold of it God knows, but it has lovely yellow blooms

Lastly, if it is a big problem indoors get hold of some pine oil and smother the place in it (if you can bear the smell - I know I would bear the smell ;-)). Cloves work also, and peel

Good luck

I also once heard that Lavender deters flies, so I grew two lavenders in large pots and placed them each side of my balcony door - the flies loved it! Sat on it, buzzed round it, wallowed in it ........ :o((((((

Thanks, everyone...have ordered some nicandra seeds. Am going to grow them in pots each side of all doors...

...will let you know if it works!!!