can you grow acer shrubs in clay soil

Asked from the GoYpedia acer trees page

Yes - they prefer non alkaline soil, but clay doesn't always mean the ph is alkaline anyway. They grow very well here in West London on clay soil.

As long as the soil is draining (they like moist but not wet soil) then clay soil will do. I have added lots of organic matter (bark chips and compost in a large area through where the acers are in my garden). They are doing OK - wind damage is a bigger problem.

If your garden is really heavy, blue clay that has puddles of water on it say half an hour after heavy rain, then no. If you have clay soil that drains easily then yes.

I have a Acer in my front garden which was planted in clay soil about 6-7 years ago and is looking splendid. I can't remember the type there are so many but in the early days it suffered wind burn which is why they are suited to a more shady position and this worried me, but the last 2-3 years it seems to have become "resistant" to wind burn lol, no seriously it's fully exposed to the elements and looks magnificent, no burn what so ever and with the leaves changing colour through out spring-autumn it really is a star, I also have three more Acers "Orange dream" which I planted in the back border (in clay) at the beginning of last spring (2010) and at one point I did not think they would survive but are now doing ok, I am in no way a expert with plants and shrubs but in my experience give them lots of loving care and attention and they will reward you. Good luck.

• bizzy lizzies around acer
  • Little Acer (Acer)
  • Acer palmatum dissectum 'Garnet' (Acer palmatum)
  • Acers For Amblealice from my Fourseasons blog