weatherproofing safely?

By John68

merseyside, United Kingdom Gb

I,ve just built raised wooden beds for growing vegetables.What can I safely weatherproof them with without poisoning the family?

You wouldn't normally cover vegetables, leave them open to the elements.

Do you mean what to paint the wood with? It really doesn't need to be treated. It should last 3-5 years even in high humidity areas. If you want to paint a latex paint would be best.

Oh, dear I think I misunderstood the question.

I didn't attempt this one earlier Rob because I wondered which way it was meant. I think poisoning the family is most unlikely but poisoning the crops is another matter if the wood is treated with the wrong preservative. It wouldn't poison the family because the crops would never mature. Beware particularly of the C(reosote) word.

You could paint the wood with olive oil. That will make it too slippery for the slugs and snails.

hi john, you can purchase 'fence'paint/stainer that is not harmfull to wildlife/plants from b&q or similar outlets . i used a brown colour stain , but there are several colours available , hope this helps.......steve