Nottinghamshire/Derbyshire border, England Eng

Could someone tell me what this pretty weed is that spreads like mad in my garden if I don't keep on top of it. It has purpley red stems and spreads by runners.

its one of the wild geraniums herb robert or some such. it spreads like mad but is easy to pull out.

I think it is cranesbill.

Yes, it's herb robert I have a white one as well. I just weed it out where not wanted Homebird.

It's cranesbill and easy to pull out, but I think you're mistaken about it spreading by runners. It seeds all over the shop and gets going quickly.

Geranium robertianum or purpureum villi, the smell is awful, and it is difficult to get rid of because of all the seeds it sets.

Thankyou everone for your replies. It does have a flower similar to cranesbill. I will nip out and check the roots......I'm back....they aren't spreading by runners as I assumed. Must be seed. It is nice to know what they are. Thanks again.

• My Ginger plant is like a weed, it appears everywhere!
  • Pretty - invasive weeds
  • Interesting Seedheads by the Pond
  • Can you guess what this is?