Hampshire, United Kingdom Gb

I have had an Ilex aquifolium Argentea Marginata in my garden for about 3yrs.
Can anyone please tell me why i have never had any red berries on this. I always have plenty of white flowers but no berries in the autumn.
When i bought it from the garden centre i was assured that it didn't need any other holly trees around it in order for pollination.

The GC has given you duff advice, to the best of my knowledge no ilex is self pollinating. You need a male and a female tree.

The variety you have is, fortunately, a female, which will produce berries, but it seems you're unlucky in that there are no male hollies in the vicinity, either in your garden or anyone else's. You may need to buy a male holly to plant somewhere to ensure berries - be careful what you buy, make sure the one you choose is a male and not female.

Thanks Bamboo, I meant to say that!

But both the male and the female flowers are white so you really need to look at them closely and then copy and paste this link into your browser to see which you have:

so difficult to tell from the flowers that it's safer to buy a named variety - the names dictate which sex the plant is, although its still not easy - Ilex Golden Queen is male, Ilex Silver Queen is male.... But the variety you have is definitely female.

• Ilex aquifolium (Holly) (Ilex aquifolium (Holly))
  • Ilex (Holly) (Ilex aquifolium (Holly))
  • Ilex Ferox Argentea... (Ilex aquifolium (Holly) Ferox Argentea)
  • Variegated Holly (Ilex aquifolium Aureo Marginata)