over wintering canna's

Canada Ca

I have 2 small canna lily's in pots should I cut down.. move in, take out of pots and dry???? thanks, char

Answers

Well, I had canna lilies in my garden in the cooler climate and in winter they would just die down. Just before spring I would cut the tops off and they would sprout again. Unless your frost goes deep into the ground, I'd say leave them where they are. You've got them in pots, perhaps shift them to the veranda or another sheltered place close to the house.

Hi Charmom. You say you are in Canada but don't say what Province. If you are on the Pacific coast then you may get away with Marguerite's advice although I think they would be safer under glass even in say Victoria or Vancouver. If you are somewhere that gets a T.O. or prairie type winter then I would take them out of the pots, let them dry and store them in dry peat for the winter. They can be very tender and even in the UK (USDA zone equivalent 8b) I keep mine in the greenhouse, chopped back, in winter. It's OK for Marguerite, she is in Australia but I've seen Canadian winters. LoL.