Fuchsias during winter.....

By Sid

Hereford, United Kingdom Gb

He folks - I took some fuchsia cuttings late in the summer. They are lovely and healthy and leafy now. If they are in the same condition in the spring so I can put them in my hanging baskets I shall be very pleased! SO, my question is, what is the best way to keep my fuchsias over the winter? Should they go dormant or keep their leaves? They are in an unheated greenhouse at the mo. Thanks - any ideas appreciated!

On plant Fuchsia

This one is for Hywel to answer! I think he is the site expert on Fuchsias...

they should be fine in the greenhouse if the green house does not frost up inside, ensure that they are well spaced out to allow air circulation as this helps to avoid attacks of fungal infections , be very sparing with water but don't allow to dry out completely, some may lose all the leaves others may not, it depends on the variety. ensure fallen leaves are removed as they can cause mould attacks if they accumulate. in spring when new growth is seen give a potash type feed to get them going again.

Many thanks, Islander :-)

Sorry Islander - I had a 'senior moment' and forgot that you grow Fuchsias too!

no probs spritz, I think Hywel has as much if not more knowledge about them as I do

Hi Sid the best way I have found is as the cold weather is coming in and the leaves start to go yellow stop watering after about 2 weeks all the leaves will have fallen of, if not just pull the rest of. Put them any place that is frost free they dont need light as they have no leaves on. Cover with anything that will give them any extra protection, just as you put the away for the winter give them a little water and the forget about them untill spring this has allways worked for me give it a try. Stewart.

Thanks Coolhan.

can you train fuchsia in to bonzi

yes tiny you can, but you have to be patient to get good results. the process involve trimming the roots as well as the top growth

think my fuchsia is dead we bought it last year from garden center in full bloom now i cant seem to bring it to life again.btw its in a very large pot on my patio

• 7th heaven (fuchsia)
  • Fuchsia..... (Fuchsia)
  • Fuchsia ......... Display (Fuchsia)
  • Fuchsia Magellanica Alba Ladies Eardrops I love the waterfall effect of this it has flowered non stop all summer and I think the Aster Crown sits well beneath it. (Fuchsia Magellanica Alba)