Pembrokeshire, United Kingdom Gb

Holding back lilies

I have 10 short stemmed asiatic lilies in 3 1/2 " pots, waiting to go into the urns now the tulips have finished. But two of them are much further on than the others. Does anyone know of a way of holding them back until the others catch up?

Put the pots somewhere cool and shady. We have a number of pots of bulbs on the north side of our greenhouse and shed trying, desperately, to hold them back for a show next weekend. If you were a Chelsea Flower Show exhibitor you would already have your display in a large walk-in fridge with permanent lighting to have the plants in prime condition for the opening. Unfortunately, most of us don't have this facility!

Thanks Bulbaholic - maybe I should take them down to the local turkey farm's processing area - that's cold and shady enough to chill anybody!

That sounds to be the perfect place, Steragram. Bet you daren't!!!

Well I dare actually, because I'm well in there for some reason and have enough cheek for two, - but in fact am trying a compromise down by the wheelie bin on the north east side of the house.In spite of the cold draught the lilies are not yet looking at all discouraged, so I've brought the slowcoaches into the warm conservatory to try to hurry them along. I think it is a losing battle though. And on second thoughts the turkey farm may not like the idea of soil in the processing room!