Plants for a shady north facing area?

By Janette

Northants, United Kingdom Gb

Hi is there someone who can tell my the best plants for a shady north front garden I am about to take my front garden in hand and need some advise

Hi I have some spectacular `Euphorbia Dixter` which grow really well in a shady area, also grow helenores, ferns, penstemons. Hope this helps.

What about Hostas, Vinca minor for ground cover, Daphne, Viola odorata or even something like gooseberries?
Good luck with it

Euonymus varieties, Aucuba varieties, Fatsia japonica. Some Clematis would also be fine growing or scrambling. Camellias if you have acid soil.

Don't forget primulas in the spring and fill empty spaces with Busy Lizzies in the summer

For shade, in addition to the previously mentioned hostas - ferns are lovely, and a beautiful romantic perennial called "Bleeding hearts" Dicentra Spectabilis was a favorite of my mother's and I intend to plant it at every house I ever own. The flowers look just like victorian stylized hearts.