Chinese Lantern?

By Bernard

Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom Gb

Is this a Chinese Lantern?. If I'm right, does anyone know if it is alkekengi 'Franchetii' ? Any info gratefully received.

Yes ,I think it is called Physallis.

Looks like Physallis sometimes called the cape gooseberry

I have had 3 attempts at growing this without success. I love the little lanterns.
Sorry to answer a question with a question but where is your's growing and what are the soil conditions?

I think it's P. alkenegi 'Franchetii' as you suggested. Grown as an ornamental rather than for the fruit on this Physalis.

Yes, I grew some this year, but didn't have any flowers or lanterns, beautiful strong healthy plants though, maybe next year......

Just a small warning - once this plant gets going, it runs, so don't plant anything delicate nearby as it will soon get overwhelmed

Will remember that Andrew, without the lanterns its not so attractive. I've spent a lot of the weekend digging out rudbeckias with the same running problem, and they leave the soil depleted and dusty.

I'd heard this too when I planted it but couldn't even manage to get it past the start line, never mind running!

Thanks to all who replied to my Physalis question. It is really lovely making contact with people this way.
After reading your comments I think I'll bury a nice big pot and replant the Physalis in it, seems like a good idea.