passiflora caerulea [passion flower]

By Boydie

warwick [birmingham], United Kingdom Gb

i have been given some seeds for this plant,can someone tell me how do Istart them off, please

Were you given a fruit with seeds in?
I've been given one, so I'd also like to know, please.:o)

no, just a small bag of seeds

I've tried from seed a couple of times with no luck. It was suggested that a couple of months cold stratification then just keep planted in general compost at about 80o fahrenheit was the best way. But I was also warned that germination rates are low. Apparently passiflora caerulia is the easiest. Do you know what yours are?

Just a point on cold stratifying. It is not good enough just to put seeds in the fridge dry. They have to be in moist conditions. I put mine (all seeds not just passiflora) in a polythene bag with some moist sphagnum moss and seal it, then forget it for the time it is in there. I've had reasonable luck with many but, as I said, not with passiflora nor with the japanese acer. That one is another difficult one.

I'm just processing some giant himalayan lilies and will let you know about those in spring.

"Sow seeds in pots or pans of seed compost and germinate at a temperature of 18-21degC (64-70). Prick out the seedlings when large enough to handle, into 3in pots."

Extract from Readers Digest Encyclopaedia of Garden Plants and Flowers.1975.

Hope this helps.