variegated box or euonymus

I have been given some small green/cream plants which I was told were box trees but a friend says that they are euonymus plants. How to tell the difference please?

These are the two most likely to cause confusion. There is, as you can see, a variegated box. All I can say to help you identify between the two is that vari. box stems are more rigid than Euonymus.

There is an Euomymus called, wait for it!! Euonymus japonicus Microphyllus Variegatus !!!Which is a bit similar to variegated Box, but it is more rigid than Box. For a small very slow growing plant it has a very long name!

I have Euonymus japonicus Microphyllus Variegatus and a non-variegated Box. One difference is that on the Euonymus the leaves are very faintly serrated at the edges - if you turn them over you can see it more clearly.