By Alextb

London, England Eng

In December, a couple opf weeks before Christmas, I bought a Christmas Conifer. This afternoon, I noticed the buds(?) photographed below.

Does a Christmas conifer flower? If not, what are these buds (?)

Thanks in advance.

Sa400507 Sa400508

That is the new leaf growth.

Oh right, tahnks MB.

they do produce flowers but they dont have petals as you'd expect.

O.K, thanks Seaburngirl.

The flowers are tiny, tiny little red things...

Do they look like little red berries with a hole in the middle?

I saw something similar on some trees near here, but cannot remember what time of year, and the trees are not the exact same type.

I suppose I am in for a nice surprise.

I think what you saw are Yew berries Alex. Conifer flowers are smaller than that, if it is a female tree you'll have cones later in the year.

O.K thanks MB, I may have well seen yew berries. As the tree is only about 60cm tall, maybe the cones will be tiny or maybe it will be too small to produce them?

I feel like such a novice to keep bothering you with non-stop questions about one tree.

I take it, that it will eventually need repotting too.

It will only produce cones if it is a female tree Alex. Yes it will definitely need repotting, in fact looking at the container what is that 'material' on the top and does the container itself have drainage holes?

Don't worry about asking questions I enjoy answering them.

I'm not sure what that material is. It feels like tissue paper, but is thicker and doesn't rip when you touch it. It came with the tree when I bought it.

The pot does have small drainage holes in the bottom.

Thanks for the help.

When have times will post some pix of conifer flowers that Bulba has

O.K. thanks MB.