What is this?

Derbyshire, United Kingdom Gb

Another attempt to identify this plant. Surely someone must know what it is? Even if I never find out, it has been responsible for my introduction to GOY - what a revelation!

If this is a perennial growing in moist soil, then I'd say it could be ligularia przewalskii

Thanks so much Andrewr. I've just googled it and you're right, although each pic was slightly different, and none identical to this.

I knew Andrewr would know it, I agree with him Ligularia, the more common one is I think. Desdamona?

Having had another look at it, I wonder if it is Sencio tanguticus? (Now Sinacalia tangutica).

Thanks Owdboggy! Just googled sinacalia tangutica, and thats it - identical- whilst przewalski was merely the nearest match yet. Interestingly I found it also called ligularia tanguticus. This kind of stuff fascinates me. you're both going into my favourites!

This has been new one to me. Great stuff to see the names coming and going I too will look this up

That is how I found it, looking at the leaves on Ligularia and following the leads to Senecio and Sinacalia. All good fun.

From my 'bible', senecio tanguticus is described as 'invasive, so best in a large, wild garden, near water'. Ligularia 'Desdemona' has orange flowers and kidney-shaped leaves, purple green above and purple below (and beloved of slugs and snails)

I notice in my 'bible' that the alternative name is Ligularia Tangutica.

Glad it has been an interesting subject! It's in my sister's garden, in a large walled border with shrub roses, (incl glauca, moyesii) but hasn't been particularly invasive. I think it's quite handsome, but I haven't seen it anywhere else.