By Bronwyn

Johannesburg, South Africa Za

Hi there. Do peonies grow in south Africa?

It depends where you are in South Africa. They need a cold winter in order to flower well in the spring.

We do get cold winters. Now nothing like the winters in the Uk but I want to give them a go. Coukd I plant them in the autumn here ?

You could try but unless your climate is similar to US 3 - 8 you will have challenges in flowering them.

Thanks think I may give them a skip here.

Probably wise Bronwyn... There are many things I would 'like' to grow in our garden in northern Scotland but common sense dictates that I don't.

From what I have seen of the climate of Johannesburg, Bronwyn, you rarely if ever get frost there. You will need cool enough days in the winter that the soil temperature stays below 5.5ยบ C for at least 3 months. Tree Peonies may work better for you there.

Thanks for your comments. Think I will give them a go ns see how they pan out. May try some winter annuals and some summer annuals but in full shade. Trial and error seems to be the order of the day as I sont know the climate here that well.

No one local who can help you with that? Bummer!
I'd check with the University of Johannesburg to see if they have anything like the United States' Cooperative Extension Service.