By Lozza

hi we are planning a garden refurb this summer and would like some advice on economical decking materials other than wood

Asked from the GoYpedia decking ideas page

Must it be decking? Cheapest option is to knock up some crazy paving yourselves. I can't think of any other material you'd make a deck out of - there's only metal and glass left, both of which would be more expensive, and both get very hot in the sun.

Hello Lozza,
I'm a bit confused too cos I also thought decking always meant with wood? If you mean you want ideas for a patio area, try the Goypedia Patio section maybe.

You could try bamboo decking. I have seen this in 5* hotels on holiday. It looks far more expensive than it is and feels lovely under foot as it is made of many bamboo stems bonded together. I would check how durable it is with British weather - what works in sunny climes may not work here.

I've seen sort of plastic "wood" substitute made out of recycled plastic in catalogues and seen benches and posts made out of it. Works OK til you try to put a barbecue on it. Ooooh, nasty mess, then! But a wooden bench would have been burnt too, I guess.

I would be wary of cheap decking! one reason is because it can be very slippery at the best of times

• Backyard
  • A garden flower photo
  • Mid-summer downunder: the best place to be when the rain is falling softly.
  • My bare patch is beginning to resemble a garden (29.04.09)