Almosty all the Cordylines in my neighbourhood have had a sudden death over the last few weeks - huge clumps of green foliage just falling off leaving just the trunk remaining. I thought mine was going to escape the damage but it seems to be going the same way. Any idea what is causing this - would it be the recent extreme weather? I'm in the north of Ireland.

Well, Beetroot, a quick flick through the previous 2 pages of questions would reveal the answer to your query - yes, it's the winter, if the trunks on yours are healthy, not oozing loads of orangey gunk, leave them alone till May or June, when, if you're lucky, new growth will have appeared either up the trunk or from the base - cut back to wherever it appears from.

I would particularly refer you to the question and responses by 'Algore sucks' on the 13th.

Thanks for your comments folks - seems I am not alone with this problem!

Even here in the subtropical American desert, we've had a hard winter. Hundreds of half-dead Ficus and Jacarandas around town, now! : /