West Sussex, United Kingdom Gb

Small white thread-like worms have appeared all around the inside top of my 'Dalek' composter. Please could you tell me if they are baby Brandling worms or something completely different? I really don't fancy clearing them out if they're 'baddies'! Photo taken this morning.

Cimg1cropped_photo514

Answers

nematodes possibly ? would need a photo with a coin next to them for for size comparison.

Ok, thanks Bampy ... now where did I put my last coin? Will post a pic tomorrow.

excellent ST, we can all do our armchair entemologist investigation. Worms !! I'm excited ?!?!?!?

Hmm ... do you think maybe you need to get out more? lol

I'm sure they're fine Shirley - it takes all sorts to eat a binful of garden waste! The only things I take exception to in a composter are rats - and couch grass growing in spite of being dried out before being put in!

Beattie - this is the composter I discovered had Bindweed coming through last Autumn - the contents were emptied & sorted before using as a Winter mulch. Everything in it now is heating up well - just surprised to see the white 'worms' in there today. Hopefully there'll be a photo to I.D. later on tomorow - if this rain ever stops falling! : o ((

all flora & fauna fascinates me ShirleyT, & I'm keen to see these little worms & as Beattie says there are a miriad of little helpers in compost heaps. Plus as a keen armchair photographer a macro shot of these little rascals is well worth waiting for - - - - - - !!! Um!! Yes your right though, I should get out more ;-)))))

Ok, photo now added, see the thin white line below right of the 20pence coin? That's one stretched out to full length, as opposed to the others all wriggling around Yeuk!!

The "saddle" on them about one third of the length from the head makes them look like earthworms to me Shirley. They may be baby ones, we all have to start somewhere, but have a look at this -
http://www.ehow.com/how_5611978_identify-worms-compost-bins.html

It refers to species found in the US - ours may be a little different. I don't think they're nematodes, though there are some free living species that can be found in the soil.

I'm sure they're part of the natural recycling system - don't worry about them - just try not to squash them when you put the lid back on. :-)

look up 'enchytraeids' Shirley, aka 'Pot worms' perfectly harmless. You will get an idea of the conditions they can tolerate which are indicative of your compost. They thrive in wet acidic situations that earthworms do not enjoy.

Thankyou both so much ... they certainly appear to be 'Pot worms' ... distant cousins of the earthworm ... good for the compost and harmless to me ... my kind of worm! : o ))

LOL mine too ;-)) ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~:

Aw bless, you have babies Lol.Hope you tucked them back in Shirley..you don't want them to starve ...

Lol, Bloomer, they don't know it yet but they may be on the move soon. I can't bear the 'Dalek' where it is and suggested to OH it moves out of sight. His face was a picture of doom! The thought of moving it does not appeal to him. Watch this space ..........

Oh dear..was it a stony stare,or raised eyebrows? Lol.
Mine is behind the shed,so don't have to look at it.Is there much in it ?..Bin bags at the ready then,and big gloves.!!.Unless you just tip it out,and then its a big shovel..Hope you aren't gonna put it on your gravel garden,as a feature..:o))

Lol, Bloomer, it's been moved this morning! Will post a blog later. : o )