Avon, United Kingdom Gb

Spider Lilies

Hi everyone, pick your brains time again!
Just bought 4 bulbs and they say plant outside in April/May.
Can I plant them earlier in greenhouse and if so where should I keep them until they can go out and at what temperature?

On plant Hymenocallis

Mine have been planted out in a container, as I was planting it up at the time. They seem to be doing fine.

You can plant them in the green house. In the greenhouse keep at 13-16 degrees for early flowers or frost free for later flowers. I keep mine in a planter as it is easier to take them in during the winter.

So would it hurt if I planted them now? The trouble is I might forget them in April..if they are in the greenhouse and frost free, and the soil just damp, would that be okay?

Yes. This is the correct time. The neck of each bulb should be just above the surface of the compost. Feed it from April to August.

Brilliant, thanks! I will pot them up now. The temperature is 3 deg lowest tonight and going steadily upwards to about 10 by the weekend!

3 degrees is the lowest recommended, so you will be OK.
Good luck!

• Hymenocallis festalis (hymenocallis festalis)
  • Peruvian Lily (Hymenocallis Festalis) (Hymenocallis festalis)
  • Spider Lily (Hymenocallis festalis)