a month or so ago I noticed holes in my compost heap and concluded rats were the culprits. I called out Pest Control who came out and confirmed this. The Pest Control man filled the holes with blue rat poison. He returned in two weeks and reported that some of the poison had been taken and I would not be troubled further. This is ok but when I began using the compost I found quantities of poison in the old holes and it was difficult to dig out the compost without getting some of the poison.
My problem is: When I put this contaminated compost on my veg patch, will it affect the plants and importantly, will the produce be safe to eat?
- 31 Jan, 2011