We want a cotoneaster 'tree' for privacy in the winter. Can you 'guarantee' a variety which is genuinely evergreen?

On plant Cotoneaster

Answers

When you say tree how big must it grow?

This Cotoneaster Damerii grows to about 8-10 feet but is more of a shrub than a tree.

In North Cambridgeshire UK it is totally evergreen

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31559373@N00/3554081853/

Cotoneaster 'Cornubia' grows to 6 metres and is a true tree but is classed as semi evegreen but retains its leaves in all but the harshest winters

Cotoneaster frigidus is also attractive and grows to a full sized tree but is also regarded as semi evergreen

On doing a fair bit of googling i cannot find a truly evergreen tree cotoneaster. All tree cotoneasters seem to be classified as semi evergreen.( There might be others I've missed which are truly evergreen )

So if you can cope with an 8 to 10 foot truly evergreen go for damerii otherwise take a risk with the others I've mentioned.

Blimey, if it's evergreen there in that eastern windy city, it must be reliable. But, C. Dammeri's prostrate, I believe, isn't it? C. salicifolius is evergreen, reliable for its large clusters of, admittedly, small, fruits. Worthy

"But, C. Dammeri's prostrate"

It is possible I'm misnaming the one I have but it looks very much like C Damerii. I took it as a cutting at least twenty years ago and I must have grown thousands from it over the years It does require a bit of training but after a year or two the branches are strong enough to grow up right and the stems cascade downwards in an arching pleasing way.

I've grown literally thousands over the years and they grow well up walls ( with a bit of support for a year or two) and I've created lovely topiary with them.

They make a lovely sphere on a straight stem. Just tuie them to a cane until they reach 4 -6 feet , trim off the side shoots up the stem and then let it form a shere at the top. I prune 3/4 off the length of the flowering stems each year which keeps them nicely in shape but still gives plenty of berries in autumn.

"if it's evergreen there in that eastern windy city"

Even worse than that. I live out in the Fens and some of the ones I grow have no protection at all. They have been totally frost hardy for 20 years.

That's an interesting point you've made. It shows, that with some careful training, (and plenty of patience!) plants can be adapted, persuaded, and cajoled to do all sorts of things. Like Euonymus fortunei cultivars near a wall, fence, or a tall shrub, - most, given time, will climb a considerable height. The marvellous thing about plants. W

All the C. dammeri that I have seen have been prostrate, but I'll admit that I've never seen one that wasn't a named variety.

C. dammeri is prostrate, only gets 2 or 3 inches high, and roots wherever it touches the ground, but your plant might be 'Coral Beauty' Anchorman - that could be persuaded to do as you describe I reckon.
Otherwise I'd recommend Cornubia or salicifolia, as mentioned by others, although all may drop their leaves in a very severe winter - but then, even privet, which is definitely evergreen, may drop its leaves in severe winters too.

Have you thought of a Budlia ? they grow pretty quick and tall.

Thanks for that information Bamboo. I'll rename my damerii "Coral Beauty". They look very similar looking at google images.

Does Coral beauty have a sub species name ?

Buddleias are not evergreen though Maggy

Anchorman - 'Coral Beauty' is C. conspicuus x C. dammeri.

Regarding evergreen Cotoneasters, there are a few now available....many of the new-ish Chinese introductions are evergreen and tree-like in habit, C.meiophyllus & the closely reated C. turbinatus are my favourites of these - large leaved, evergreen, profuse fruiting and tall.

Otherwise, as Bamboo suggests, C. salicifolius or one of it's hybrids would be a good bet - C. 'Exburiensis' is superb with bright yellow fruit, and is vigorous, upright and widely available. C. frigidus 'Cornubia' is excellent too, with abundant red fruit, although perhaps marginally less evergreen than the others (at least in my experience).

"C. conspicuus x C. dammeri."

Thanks for that. I thought it looked very much like damerii

The coral beauty I'm thinking of is Cotoneaster x suececus 'Coral Beauty', Anchorman.

Now that I think of it I wouldn't necessarily say that any Cotoneaster is an ideal screening/privacy plant - they are almost always quite open in habit so they're not going to give you a dense, evergreen screen, even when they are tree-sized.

A better bet might be the very closely related Photinia davidiana. The foliage is evergreen, larger than a Cotoneaster, and the growth is more dense, plus you get the same white flowers and copious red fruit.

The problem with the names of so many of the cotoneasters is they're so difficult to check against Google images. I've just had a look and there are several similar but clearly slightly different cultivars all given the name "coral beauty" Some include the word damerii others suececus.

i'm really not sure exactly which I have

Doesn't really matter though, does it, Anchorman - only if it died and you wanted to replace it, I guess... I've got a fabulous Liriope, which I can't find listed anywhere online - I recall when I bought it, it had a sort of Chinese or Japanese two word varietal name, but no idea what. I dread it dying, I'll never get another...

"Doesn't really matter though"

No but it would be nice to know for certain.

I shall never lose it because I've planted several in my customers gardens and in one it has made a very attractive 30 metre long 2 metre high hedge. I trim it with a hedgetrimmer and it thrives on it. The regular trimming (twice a year) thickens it up and it is now entirely self supporting

The birds love it as a food source and they nest inside its branches

I agree it'd be nice to know - I can't even tell my customer what variety her blasted Liriope is, its an offset off mine...

Hi

Thank you so much for all the responses. I'll go off and try to find the ones recommended. We've already bought a couple of photinias thanks.

We are moving a Budlia. Love the butterflies that it attracts but it is in the wrong place - and - is rather leggy and looses it's leaves...

Thank you all again for your feedback, it is much appreciated...

Cotoneaster, re your Buddleia - they do get leggy if you don't prune them. Should be cut right back every March, assuming its davidii.

Hi Bamboo

That was the problem with where it was, it was hidden away really and hard to access. Once it's moved it's being cut right back and hopefully will be a better, denser shrub and attract even more butterflies... which we'll also be able to see more of...

Thanks once again.

• Lavander Rose (Cotoneaster roseus)
    Tin
  • Great contrast! (Cotoneaster amoenus (Beautiful Cotoneaster))
    Janey
  • Cotoneaster horizontalis (Cotoneaster horizontalis (Cotoneaster))
    Spritzhenry
  • Cotoneaster decorus ☼full sun/part shade ❅hardy ★ award ✿ evergreen (cotoneaster decorus)
    Paulspond