Cardiff, Wales Wal

I am sure I am not alone in having shrubs damaged by the frost and snow in December. I wonder if I should wait until the winter is over before trimming them back; we may well have another cold spell and if I trim them now will they have less protection for the next bout? Examples are bay, choisya, pittasporum, rosemary.

Put a string tie round your plants to prevent further damage, then leave them until heavy snow is not likely to fall. If you cut back now the new buds will shoot and will get damaged by frost.

Agree with Docbob - the only trimming which might be necessary is if you have actual broken or fractured branches. Leave well alone until the weather warms and the growing season begins - April, really, especially for the Pittosporum.

I have a large fuchsia that looks as though it is dead. I'll follow the advice given to you Rachelsmum and leave well alone till April.

My Sarcococca was flattened but unbroken, so I put link-stakes all around it and it's upright by itself again now.