clay based soil

By Mandy1

north yorkshire, United Kingdom Gb

My garden like some unfortunate others is prone to flooding which having clay based soil makesit harder to drain. We have tried the easier option of digging down and putting in lots of small stones as a soak away...still waiting to see if it works! This year in particular I have lost a coupleof shrubs and bushes. Can someone suggest any plants/shrubs that like clay based soil thats prone to extreme wetness?
Thanks for any advice.

Cornus and coloured twig Salix species don't mind wet feet. You could try planting tolerant plants on a slight mound, make sure you always dig a much larger hole then usual so the plants are not in a'sump'. Spring planting often avoids some fatalities over a wet winter. Also ferns and any plants recommended for bog gardens,such as Hostas, Astilbes, Juncus spiralis (amazing twirled grass stems).

Improving the soil is the best option - by digging in loads of organic material, compost, well-rotted manure as well as horticultural grit. Whenever you plant something, make the hole BIG and back-fill with compost and grit mixture. This will, in time, make life a lot easier for you and you plants!

Dig in loads of compost and keep topdressing with more compost. Eventually your soil will improve.

Thanks for replying!...I will be back for more advice.