West Sussex, United Kingdom Gb

Please may I have an ID for this beautiful flower? Saw it growing in Malta last wek.

Cimg0cropped_photo938 Cimg0cropped_photo935

Answers

no idea what the flower is but that's a little chameleon beautifully camouflaged.

16 Dec, 2010

Ha ha, Bampy, I only noticed it when the pic was put on the computer ! Just shows how well they blend in. . . .

16 Dec, 2010

I used to live in St Pauls Bay overlooking the med. Used to catch octopus & bring them back & scare mum :-O

16 Dec, 2010

Hi Shirley hope you had wonderful time, looks like the weather was kind to you, lovely flower sorry don't know what it is though, nice chemeleon shot too lol

16 Dec, 2010

Dido, have sent you a PM. : o )

16 Dec, 2010

Actually, I think that there are two in the first picture, or at least one and a quarter! Is that a tail in the top left corner?

16 Dec, 2010

I think not, Mr. B ! Any idea as to the plant name ?

16 Dec, 2010

I think it might be Solandra maxima - usually in flower in spring, but maybe throwing a few late ones. Not hardy here.

16 Dec, 2010

Gorgeous flower, Shirley. Hope you had a great holiday. (I went to Gozo once - on my own!) And well-spotted Bampy . . . are chameleons all that tiny?

16 Dec, 2010

I was born on Malta, but was too small to identify flowers at the time!

16 Dec, 2010

The smallest chameleon is a Madagascan species. Saw it on television a few months back. About an inch long. Solandra maxima it is. Worthy

16 Dec, 2010

It is as Bamboo says Sollandra (maxima) - it's common name is the Chalice vine.
If you have a large conservatory, these people sell them....

http://www.junglegardens.co.uk/PlantOrders/enter.html

16 Dec, 2010

it's the European Chameleon SheilaB & that one is possibly an adult. One of the worlds smallest chameleon's is fully grown at just a few millimetres.
As Worthy say's it's Madagascan.
Look up Brookesia Minima for a peek at this most incredibly small chameleon, be amazed !!
Have to say this is why I like GoY when it throws up members gems like this. Never heard or seen of this Solandra Maxima before, what superb rich camelia type leaves & it's a rampant climber from what I'v just read, it's a WIN WIN plant & I want one. The hunt begins!!
Thanks Shirley T.

16 Dec, 2010

Thanks Worthy and Bampy . . Wow! I've just looked at images of Brookesia Minima and you're right, I AM amazed. Just told my OH and he says can we have some on our Christmas tree?! Lol.

16 Dec, 2010

Bamboo, many thanks for the ID on this. It was a beautiful flower to see for 'real'.

16 Dec, 2010

cant take credit for plant ID ST but I learnt something from everyones input. Wonderful stuff. Cheers.
Oh & SB, chameleans as xmas tree adornments ?? there's no flies on you eh !! What a superb idea though, better than TV in my book ;-))

17 Dec, 2010

Bamby, I'd rather look at a Christmas tree than TV any day!! :o) I LOVE chains of tiny lights, and we'll be putting ours up on Sunday (great treat for my birthday).

The other name for Solandra maxima is Chalice Vine: what a lovely name. Might be able to grow it here in a moist soil and plenty of sun (hmmmm).

17 Dec, 2010

thanks for pointer Meanie. Had a quick search & I could'nt find any! Cheers !!

17 Dec, 2010

It's about two thirds of the way down this page Bampy....

http://www.junglegardens.co.uk/PlantOrders/contents/en-uk/d6.html

17 Dec, 2010

Bampy - this plant requires minimum temperature of 13-16 deg C

17 Dec, 2010

Don't let that stop you Bampy!!!
I didn't know that this place existed - it's only about twenty miles from me.

17 Dec, 2010

Thanks B & M, I will have to consider the winter temp for this beautiful thug of a plant as I understand things. Obviously a conservatory dweller but I only keep that room frost free so there's the winter challenge.
At 33' long the conservatory has the space so that's half the battle dealt with :-/

18 Dec, 2010