Hi to everyone, I am a fairly new to gardening, and realising the joys of it all. I am looking to planting a hedge to help give some shelter as well as form to my front garden.
I rather fancy a Purple Beach, because I like the thought of not only the changing colour, but the leaves remaining on the hedge. However I would also like to have a hedge that flowers rather like the Vibernum Tinus I have just been looking at. Is there anything that could combine the two thoughts? Any help would really be appreciated.

a hedge doesnt have to be made up of one type of plant at all and hello .

Welcome to GoY, Podgelette. As a starter, why not a purple beech hedge with a few Vibernum tinus dotted along the length of the hedge?

If you want something which keeps some leaf in winter, or is evergreen and also flowers,the following are possibilities: Pyracantha, Berberis darwinii, Escallonia, Cotoneaster cornubia.

then there are hawthorn, blackthorn and hornbeams that ake a lovely mixed hedge.

Thank you so much to all of you, especially Bamboo who has bamboozled me into looking into Escallonia Apple Blossom. I rather like the thought of a fragrant hedge as well as an evergreen and flowering to boot. WOW. I'm really looking forward to the end result.