Protection of Cherry Trees from birds

2 years ago we moved into a house with 20 cherry trees in the garden. Each tree is mature standing in excess of 20ft tall. The Blackbirds take the fruit way before it is ripe. Are there any pactical methods to deter them so we can harvest some of the cherries each year ?

Answers

The only thing is to buy bird netting, which you throw over the trees. You need a great deal of it, as you have 20 cherry trees and they are tall. But it is worth it, especially since I think you are going to do something with those cherries, like jam making or selling them. We had birdnetting over our whole vineyard to keep the silveryes out and oh boy, that costed a fair bit! If that is too expensive for you, perhaps try and hang little mirrors, aluminium folie on cardboard ( to give it more body and so it won't be blown away ) which you suspend from branches here and there could also be a deterrent. Then you can purchase a plastic eagle which you have to suspend on a very long pole, so it looks as if it is flying over the orchard. They are birds of prey and little birds are frightened of them. I have used those too in the orchard. Then there are scare guns, which go off at certain times, you set the intervals, but I don't think the neighbours would love you for that one. I remember going through cherry orchards when I lived in Holland and we had one of those wooden rattles you'd swing around and they hated that sound too. Other than those suggestions I am lost for words. If you grow the cherries commercially you can deduct the netting from your tax.

Marguerite is quite right, the only way to keep off the birds completely is to net the trees. All the other ideas work sometimes with some birds but netting works all the time. 20 cherry trees is a lot of fruit, and if you are not using this as a commercial venture, but for personal use you might want to consider netting just a few trees and leaving the rest for the birds. My grandmother had 1 cherry tree and it produced enough to keep her freezer full every year. MMMM cherry pie!!!

Sid
Sid

I suppose you could just net a few branches, after all you'll get an awful lot of cherrys from 20 trees!

• Cherry Blossom
    Irish
  • Winter - flowering Cherry.
    Janey
  • Cherry tree
    Irish
  • Ornamental Japanese Apricot, Prunus mume,'Beni-Chidori' (flight of the red Plovers) (Prunus mume 'Beni-Chidori')
    Janey