The Garden Community for Garden Lovers

mold/fungus

United States Us

In the last couple of weeks I have found an unusual growth on my wood chips, only one got on the leaves of a plant, o/w they have been contained to the mulch.
When dry it is a crusty white, when I found the first clump, I was watering, so I sprayed water on it and it appeared not to be water soluble. It rose up into a tiny particulate matter, quite like smoke. Underneath the white layer that was dry, it was yellow in color. Now the other day I found a clump that was still wet and it was yellow in color in the non-dry state. I have found about 7 piles of this throughout my beds.
Any ideas/and or what I should do and if it is of concern?




Answers

 

I like your description, sounds like something from a horror movie. It sure is a fungus or mold. It will dry out/up in the sun. But I don't know what it is, although I have often seen it, at the woodpiles where we chopped wood. Perhaps just take a sample to your local nursery and ask for advice. Molds you can kill with chlorine/bleach, but as it is in your garden beds, perhaps not so good for the plants. It definitely might not be so good for humans, so be aware. Do wear gloves and do not inhale the smell from them. Let me know please what you found out, ok?

29 Aug, 2008

 

Water on with a fine rose Armilatox at 10ml. to 1 gallon of water. That should cover a patch of 9sq. yards.
This is very common, don't be too concerned.

30 Aug, 2008

How do I say thanks?

Answer question

 


Not found an answer?