By Rogi

NRW, Germany De

Hallo all. A while ago I asked a question about my very small Clematis. It is now doing very well and getting new leaves on it every day, although it is still very small, my question is: should I protect it from the is in a cold frame?. Thanks for any answers.

Hi Rogi,

You haven't told us what var. of clematis you have there and some are hardier than others! Could you add this info. What kind of cold do you get there in in NE Scotland I have trouble keeping the more tender clems, and we don't have temps. much less than minus 1 degrees C most winters. If it's a large flowered summer flowering clem. it will probably be absolutely fine where it is over the winter....don't let it dry out though. :))

A bit of winter protection won't do it any harm. Plants roots in pots are more at risk of frost damage than those in the ground. So, keep it somewhere sheltered to be on the safe side.

Thanks for the answers. I will have to go down to the garden again to see which variety of Clematis it is..I´m never any good at remembering names..also peoples can get a bit embarassing at work..I stand in front of somebody and can´t remember their name...old age creeping on I supose.

ha ha Rogi, we all have that problem I fear!!

...I'm sorry....what was your name?

14 Oct, 2010 had me going there for a minute volunteer!! ;))

Re the clematis, it´s still alive !!!...during the winter I brought it back home and it stood near the balcony window..getting enough light and watering it regularly, it is now in my "new" green house enjoying the high temperatures and new leaves are coming up all over the place and I think I have even spotted a small flower bud, next time I go in the green house I will take a magnifying glass with me!!!!..hihi.

Brilliant news, well done! :))