South Yorkshire, United Kingdom Gb

Hello -
I have this berry growing in my garden and it has been there for a few years. It generally doesn't flower, I don't think, and I wondered if anyone could identify it, and is it edible? I think it's pretty common, it seems to be in a lot of gardens around where I live.

Thank you everybody and I hope someone can tell me. I am only 21 so sorry if it's a silly question :)

hello and it is not a silly question. it is hypericum or 'rose of sharon'. I dont think the berries are edible for us so dont try it. they have large yellow buttercup like flowers.

Thank you very much! and I won't try eating it :)

I think it is StJohns Wort it turns black when fully ripe! does it have a yellow flower?

glad you have joined us moleinasack.
it is also known as st john wort .
There are some lovely red and pink berried forms too. they often turn up in boquets.

I think that this is specifically the species Hypericum androsaemum. This is the one that seeds around prolifically and is actually native to the UK too. The true St John's Wort is Hypericum perforatum, a much daintier species though admittedly, several members of the genus Hypericum are called St John's Wort. All contain the active ingredient used in medicine and herbal teas to a greater or lesser extent.

The only silly question is the one you did not ask when you could have done.