South Yorkshire, United Kingdom Gb

i have a plant gowing in the cabbage like leaves flowers that appeared in big white balls then opened out to long stems with small white hooked flowers the tip of the hook is purple and it has a strong herblike smell can u identify

this is where a photo would be invaluable. Dont recognise it from the description . sorry.

Sounds like ornamental cabbage. Not a cauliflower gone to seed is it?

cauli - flowers are pale yellow like any brassica Beattie. and i dont recognise the description at all

It sounds almost like one of the broader-leaved milkweeds, such as Asclepias latifolia. Still pretty vague though.

Sounds like an Allium to me. I think the guest means that it was growing in a cabbage patch? A rogue onion or garlic perhaps?

Asclepias are unlikely Tug. The only ones I have seen outside over here are A. syriaca and forms of A. incarnata. The two tender ones A. currasavica and A. tuberosa or even less seen outside.

ps, if you have access to seed of A. speciosa I'll pay for them Tug. I've been wanting this species for ages!

Sorry, Fractal, I don't have any myself, but I did find this:

Hope that helps!

I didn't even think of the possibility of an Allium, mainly due to the description of the leaves--don't know which one would be blooming at this time, anyway.

Thats great Tug, thanks for that link. Last time I looked on there....none.

Just bought a couple of packets! Thanks again.

Glad I could help!

« how do I check soil quality