mushrooms on lawn

how do you rid your lawn of exploding mushrooms

Answers

We've had this questions several times over the past couple of weeks. I always answered: just mow over them, they never last long, they disintegrate. They are not really unsightly, I would just leave them until you mow the lawn again. Otherwise get a grass rake and rake them to bits.
If you really are worries the spores will stay for next year then pick them carefully out and dispose of them in a plastic bag in the bin. If you put them on the compost heap they still will come up when you use the compost.

picking the mushrooms will do away with fresh spores...but the mushroom roots~~mycelium are present in the soil and probably have been there for some time...fungus mycelium are very difficult to eradicate completely as they can be huge and diffuse... the very best advice is, as Marguerite has said, just mow them over...or pick them and dispose...whatever you prefer. they only appear for a short time... I have inky caps and when they emerge I stomp them before the spores can ripen...I've also been told that the fresh inky caps are delicious but as far as I'm concerned they are not worth the trouble of identifying them.

should clarify..I didn't mean that the roots were large..I meant that they can cover a huge area..the roots themselves are threadlike.