By Rogi

NRW, Germany De

Hallo all. I would like to know what the following shrub is called...and should I prune it..if so now or wait until spring?, it is about 7ft high, my neighbour said that it has been there for at least 20 years. Today I cut a lot of dead wood out of it and also an Ivy was strangling it at the base of the trunk....I cut that all away as well.. Many thanks for any answers.

Dscf0930 Dscf0931

It looks like Weigela to me. you can prune it after it's flowered. Take out the flowered wood and fresh shoots will grow to bear next year's flowers.

Thanks Volunteer...that answer was quicker than sound !. I have just looked at the index of plants and it is a Weigela..thanks again.

Well, they were nice clear photos!! This plant is really easy to grow from cuttings in May from the new growth. Try some next year!

It looks like a weigela - possible Bristol ruby, I've had one in my garden for years - very pretty.

Almost certainly W. 'Bristol Ruby'. Phil J