By Girly

Hi, does anyone have any suggestions as to what plants I might use in a very shaded area in my garden. The soil is clay and the area tends to be dry. I would prefer a mix of shrubs and perenial plants and something that is colourful and will add brightness. Thank you in anticipation.

Dry shade is particularly difficult to find plants that will thrive in. Euphorbia amygdaloides is tough enough to cope. Ferns usually need moist shade but I've found hart's tongue ferns will hold on in dry soil.
For shrubs, I think you'd need to be prepared to water them weekly for a year or so to get them established. Once settled in the roots can go down very deep and seek out water. Have a look under "D" at the bottom of the page for plants for dry soil, and "S" for shade plants which you would need to water at first.

I've recently planted a yellow Heuchera in my dry, shaded area; also Hakenachloa Aurea. They both brighten a dark corner. I asked a similar question recently and Spritzhenry recmmended Saxifraga stonolifera which is lovely. These are all perennials.

I grow lots of Honesty every year under a large conifer. I water them regularly in their growing season; but it is very shady. They always seem very healthy and brighten the area with purple and white flowers about 3ft tall.

have a look at the plants in my profile many are under the beech tree which is very dry and deep shade.