I inherited in my garden what I take to be a phlomis fructicosa. It is very old, gnarled and more of a tree about 2m tall. The problem is that nothing seems to grow beneath it despite the fact that the area gets a fair amount of sunlight and is certainly not deep shade. Is this coincidence or is there something about the plant that inhibits growth of other plants?
Gordon Edwards

On plant Phlomis

I've never heard of a Phlomis fruticosa getting that big Thimbles. Any chance of a photo?

Hello Thimbles,

Ours was an inherited thug too, maybe because it was hogging a prime sunny spot, I don't know. Anyhow, middle of this summer I got a bit radical and chopped it right back, tho' not killing it completely. Then tried to grow some late sweet peas there which have not been great, but I think my timing was all up the creek!
What I'm saying in a rambling fashion is I think you are right. Nice handsome plant but can go a bit mad and take over I reckon, seems to be very fast-growing in my experience. I can well believe yours was that size.

• Phlomis 'Tuberosa' for Dawn (Phlomis)
  • Phlomis Russeliana. (Phlomis fruticosa (Jerusalem sage))
  • Phlomis (Phlomis fruticosa (Jerusalem sage))
  • Phlomis Tuberosa (Phlomis)