Pembrokeshire, United Kingdom Gb

We have a laburnum tree in our garden, we are told that it's poisonous, should we keep it?

Answers

Over 50 percent of the plants in any garden are toxic if ingested, so that's not a reason to get rid of it. Laburnum seeds are particularly poisonous though, and that's what people worry about, but depending on which variety you have, it may be that yours produces barely any seed anyway.

Unless you have children, yes. I had one at my last property, and it was never an issue with the cats or dogs.

I had one with 2 young boys - but I always used to trim the tree back after flowering and before it set seed - needed to keep it small anyway.

I know a lot of plants are poisonous, but I do remember that when we moved into our last house with two kids at that time aged 4 and 1, I got someone to remove the laburnum tree completely the first couple of days we were there.

That's such a shame because they're beautiful trees and i think greatly undervalued and underrated.
As long as you educate young children not to eat plants and berries, which we all do anyway, the animals won't eat them and they're as safe as any other garden plant.
When you see Bamboo's first sentence you could scare yourself into never planting a living thing again, if you were being too cautious.

Laburnum is one of the great misunderstood plants.

In the late 1970s, someone concluded that around 3,000 children a year were being taken to hospital suspected of eating laburnum. He also concluded that many of them were just seen near the tree and hadn't eaten any. of those who had actually eaten it, only a very small number had any symptoms.

Almost everyone who has told me they got rid of laburnum 'because of the (grand)children' confirmed that they grew daffodils every year. (Plus many other poisonous plants.)

Leave it where it can be enjoyed and use it for a bit of gentle substance abuse education. 'It may look nice, it may look like something which you know is nice or someone may have told you it is nice, but, if you look up information about it, you'll find it isn't nice.'

That is a very good idea Tpg.
By the way, i like your website very much indeed.

Thanks Lousie1

interesting thoughts, poison & Louise. I'm not known as an overly cautious wrap-em-in-cotton-wool type, quite the opposite usually!
Looks like I and others have fallen for some mis-information similar to the iron in the spinach saga. Never mind. That laburnum was taking up way too much valuable space in a small garden anyway, and they are plants which grow very easily, so no regrets.
As for daffodils - that's also interesting. I did once eat a tulip. Wouldn't recommend it.

I'd only be concerned about the seeds anyway, and then only if very young children were expected to play underneath it.