By Bernard

Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom Gb

At the end of last June I purchased from Crocus (Fab service by the way) a Clematis 'Hagley Hybrid' which grew strongly after it was planted and is now flowering like a 'good un'. I was wondering if I should be concerned about this, as it seemed a bit sudden for a baby plant to flower this soon and out of season, but I have noticed that other plants in the garden are flowering for the second time, mainly Choisya, Cistus, Campanula, Physalis and Roses and I wonder whether this is a common occurance. This is two questions really - should I be concerned about the Clematis and is second flowering a common occurance?

Yes, it's quite common, and no, it's not a problem, Bernard. You're lucky, I expect it's the mild weather that's done it.

My Choisya always has a second flush of flowers at this time of year, so do the Cistus and Campanulas, and some of my roses, too. :-)))

it often happens when the daylight hours are similar to those in spring. hence magnolias at this time of year.

These Clematis flower on new shoots anyway and will often flower even as a freshly rooted cutting.

how can I grow a giant pumpkin »