By Dorjac

Essex, United Kingdom Gb

Any one know what this 1 inch long muted yellow and black backed creature with red tinged wings is. It had big knobs on the end of its antenna. Blundered into the kitchen while I was cooking the supper. Covered it with a plastic bowl while I got on with the meal. Later released but flew off before I clicked the camera

Yes it is Trichius fasciatus we had them on the irises earlier in the summer. Take a look at my photos and you will see.

Its a Sexton Beetle. They are one of the good guys so release it. They bury dead small animals and feed their young off the decomposing flesh. Sounds disgusting but they do a good job clearing up carcasses.

Initially similar looking Mg but definitely a Sexton Beetle (Nicrophorus).

You're right Fractal did not look at closely enough.

Thanks everyone for replying promptly. Hope they havn't been burying Spooky as she didn't look to well last time I saw her. I searched for her, but she had vanished. I wonder if they bury anything as big as a cat?

any beetles with serated large mandibals is generaly predetory . like a devils coach horse and assasin bugs .

hes a handsom beasty isnt he ?

how weird I found one just this morning and wondered what it was. Bt I didnt get round to looking it up.

you live and learn seaburn x .

Spooky cat is OK she has reappeared and is on speaking terms again. Came in for a stroke and bit me when she got fed up with it. No longer someone is cossetting her. She is very fickle though. The other day she flew down the middle of the road all bushed up. I opened the front door...called her...she flew in and straight out the back door and started washing herself. I wonder how many people down this road think Trichius Fasciatus has buried her when she bites and leaves the hand that feeds her.