By Pamsco

Midlothian, Scotland Sco

What is this plant and can I prune it back?

Beautiful Context

Phygelius capensis or cape fuchsia. I guess you could prune it if it's in the way - it's a herbaceous perennial. I find it dies back anyway. Lovely plants - one of my favourites.

Thank you? It is beautiful I love the colour. It seems to love the back garden I have 3 of them but one isgetting over 6 foot. The picture above is taken with melooking up at it from underneath (I'm 5ft 8). The branches are looking leggy so thought it could do with a hard prune later in the year to fill it out?

I'd prune it in spring when it's starting to grow again It may get cut back by cold weather. I was going to say you must have had a milder winter than most of us for it to get to that size, then I looked at where you live. You must have a fertile soil to get that much growth. Mine are still knee high to a bee in comparison!

They are all in the most sheltered part ofthe garden protected by hedges- that may explain it?

Thanks for the help - I'll not touch them until next year.

And mine are a bit exposed to east winds. And north winds...

oh and the tallest one in the photo is next to the 2 big compost bins so heat and nutrients galore!

You've got one lucky plant!
My hunt for my first phygelius gave rise to a family expression -
"It's like a Fuchsia, but different" :-)

lol - i like it

lovely plant

Thought I'd add a photo to show the context of the 1st photo. As you can see it is about 6-7 ft tall. Looking the plant up in thebooksit never mentions it gets that high! It is growing through the holly.

Jeepers! That's why it's so tall. We used to have a Fuchsia magellanica that did that. The stems were really long and fragile but it was all drawn up and supported by the holly tree.

More plant IDs needed please? »