damow

By Damow

Cheshire, United Kingdom Gb

Hi everyone. Can someone suggest a medium to large growing shrub for a sunny corner well drained with 6ft fence on 2 sides trapping the sun, but also open to generally prevailing wind and rain? As disease/pest resistant as possible, pollinator friendly and giving good autumn colour? I know i know, the perfect plant!
Was thinking of cotinus variants but without the problems. Liking the green one especially. Any thoughts? In the UK by the way. Thanks.

Answers

You are going to get a rush of people's favourite shrubs and I would also embrace the ones that are prolific in your surrounding location. Amalanchier canadensis would be my choice. The leaves will open with a bronze colour and then a smothering of white flowers. The flowers will, in turn produce a purple to black fruit. Blackbirds absolutely adore these but so do the wood pigeons. In autumn the leaves will turn orange, yellow and red. I have one as a centrepiece in my front garden.

Maybe one of the Rosa rugosa varieties?

Do you know Viburnum Mariesii? It’s lovely all year: very pretty white flowers followed by bronze leaves. A Nandina (heavenly Bamboo) would also be good as it’s evergreen, has white flowers, and has attractive differently coloured leaves which change randomly through the seasons.