A second flowering Amaryllis

West Somerset, England Eng

Remember the double orangey-pink Amaryllis I posted some weeks ago? Well, it faded and I took the pot to the greenhouse for nurturing until next year. To my great surprise, when I cut the flower stem off, I spotted a second fat bud on its way. Is this common, as I have never had it happen before!!!

On plant Amaryllis

hi Spritz, yes i have seen this before, did you dead head the original stem as the flowers faded? if so this could be the reason that it has re-flowered. either that or you are just very lucky. i have seen quite a few with two stems on at once or like yours a second stem once the first has flowered - i don't think it is damaging to the bulb in anyway - so enjoy!

Hi Spritz

I have found this to be common. I have had the flower snap (they make beautiful cut flowers and last ages in water) and then had re growth.

If you look again at my 'photos you will make out that mine became muti stemmed .

• Amaryllis (Amaryllis hippeastrum)
  • Golden Dragonfly (Amaryllis hippeastrum)
  • Amaryllis (Amaryllis belladonna (Belladonna lily))
  • Embrace color (Amaryllis belladonna and Crocosmia Orange Devil)