By Maha

hi i have a magnolia tree which i have put in a pot, can you tell me if it would be better in the ground or will it be okay to leave in the pot. i dont want it to grow to big. will it flower if its in the pot and how often does it need to be fertilised

Magnolias are only happy in a pot for a few years then they really do need the ground. I hope it is M. stellata which is a smaller variety? For food, use an ericaceous plant food ( the label will say this, or 'for Rhododendrons and Azaleas') and use an ericaceous compost too, preferably a soil-based one.

thankyou Volunteer

Definitely use a BIG pot if you want to keep it there.

George henry kern is the only one i know of that will spend decent time in a pot, otherwise the ground..

Too true! They don't even like the old bonsai trick of pruning the roots and refreshing the soil every 4 years--Magnolias hate root disturbance!